Sea Moss Gel vs Capsules–which is right for you?
So, you’ve heard about this wonderful new superfood and wondering which form is right for you―Sea Moss gel or Sea Moss capsules. Well, you’re not alone.
Just in case you’re hearing about Sea Moss for the first time, it is a type of red algae consumed by humans for more than a thousand years. You’re most likely to find it in places like the Caribbean and Ireland (the main reason it’s also called Irish moss).
The name stuck during the potato famine in Ireland in the 1800s.
It can also be found close to the shores of Caribbean islands, Europe and the east coast of the United States.
Sea Moss contains a multitude of vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids and antioxidants. It is the most complete superfood on the planet.
Let's get into the nitty gritty!
How is Sea Moss Consumed?
When it comes to consumption, people either blend the Sea Moss Gel into their smoothies, or ingest the dried Sea Moss via capsules.
How is Sea Moss Gel made?
It’s a simple but tedious processes that involves first soaking the Sea Moss for a few hours. During this time, it absorbs the water and swells to about three times its dehydrated size. Once it's expanded, the Sea Moss is then washed and cleaned (it is harvested from the ocean, hence the usual impediments, salt and sand). For the last step, the Sea Moss is blended with water till smooth and creamy. The concoction is then refrigerated and the result is Sea Moss gel.
How are Sea Moss capsules made?
After harvesting the Sea Moss from the ocean, it is then washed and dried. The dried algae is then grinded into powder and encapsulated.
Health Benefits of Sea Moss
Before we get into the pros and cons of each form, let’s a take a quick look at the health benefits of Sea Moss.
They include the following:
- Support mental health
- Act as a source of energy
- Support healthy skin
- Support a healthy respiratory system
- Support recovery and tissue repair
- Packed with pre-biotics that support digestion
- Support weight management
- Help to rid the body of excess mucus
Wondering what makes it so healthy?
Sea Moss contains 92 out of 102 minerals that make up the human body! Let's get into a few of the most popular benefits below
Support thyroid function
Irish moss is packed with ample iodine that the thyroid needs to properly function. Specifically Sea Moss contains a type of iodine called DI-Iodothyronine, which helps to aid thyroid disorders and aid hormone production
Experts have discovered that iodine deficiency is the most common cause of preventable mental impairment worldwide [Sun et al, 2014]. This is reason many countries introduced universal salt iodization (USI). It is the addition of iodine to consumable salt for mass consumption.
Another important mineral Selenium is also in Sea Moss. The human thyroid is expected to contain the highest amount of this mineral per gram to tissue.
Research has uncovered sufficient selenium in the thyroid will improve thyroid ultrasound features and improve quality of life (Ventura et al. 2017).
You can read more about Sea Moss' thyroid benefits here.
Support Respiratory System Health
Sea moss has been know to help dissolve mucus in the respiratory pathways. Why is this important you may ask? Respiratory disease such as cold and flu are results of mucus buildup in the pulmonary pathways.
Omega 3, ChloropgyII and Potassium Chloride found in the Sea Moss have the ability to help to dissolve this mucus.
Increased stimulation of mucus leads to airflow obstruction especially in the case of asthma [Evans et al., 2010]. This is why sea moss is recommended for people suffering from asthma, bronchitis, and sore throat.
Support a vibrant Immune System
Sea Moss contains potassium iodide, which is great for clearing the body’s airways. It’s also rich in amino acids, vitamin C, antioxidants, as well as a host of antiviral and antimicrobial agents.
Support Healthy Skin
Due to the gel-like quality, many people use it to soothe dermatitis, burns, psoriasis, and eczema. Studies have found that citrulline–arginine, a compound found in Irish moss, helps release amino acids that are essential for protein and collagen production.
Although, Sea Moss has great benefits, it should be taken in moderation, consuming too much can lead to burning of the stomach, mouth and throat, fever and vomiting. I know it’s great, but please don't go overboard on your daily Sea Moss intake.
Differences between Sea Moss gel and capsules
There's been a lot of discussion about these two forms of Sea Moss lately, hopefully we can bring some clarity.
Here are some differences between the two:
- Preparation: Sea Moss gel is prepared by soaking the sea moss in water until it swells, then rinsed and blended with water until smooth. The capsules do not pass through these stages.
- Shelf-life: Sea Moss Gel should be stored in the fridge. It can last up to 3 weeks. It must be sealed to ensure freshness. Sea Moss capsules can be stored in any cool, dry place, in an airtight container.
- Consumption: Sea Moss gel has to be blended into a smoothie or drink to be consumed. Sea Moss capsules can be easily swallowed with any liquid.
Sea Moss Gel Advantages
- Sea moss gel is a perfect option for kids or adults who aren’t able to swallow pills.
- Sea Moss gel is a delicious addition to any smoothie or desert. It can make any recipe thick, creamy and nutritious.
- Sea Moss gel can used as a face mask and applied directly to the skin
Sea Moss Capsule Advantages
- Bioavailability: Sea Moss capsules have a higher bioavailability compared to gel, this means that you only need a small amount compared to gel to get the same potency and effect.
- Consistency: Sea Moss capsules guarantee the same potency every time. This provides measurability and prevents consuming too much.
- Convenience: Sea Moss capsules can be taken any time without the need to blend into a drink. They can also be easily transported and stored.
- Preparation: There’s no prep necessary for Sea Moss capsules
- Taste: Sea Moss capsules have no flavor.
- Shelf life: Sea Moss capsules usually have a shelf life of at least two years.
For the most part, the advantages of Sea Moss capsules outweigh the Gel form–however it ultimately comes down to your preference and your lifestyle. If you’re an avid smoothie connoisseur–opt for gel, it’s delicious. If you’re looking for consistent dosages and convenience, I recommend you give our Organic Sea Moss & Bladderwrack Capsules a try! You won’t be disappointed! 😉